Hits (Phil Collins album)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Compilation album by Phil Collins|
|Released||October 6, 1998|
|Recorded||1980 – 1998|
|Label||Face Value Records|
Virgin (UK and Ireland)
Atlantic (US and Canada)
WEA (rest of the world)
|Phil Collins chronology|
…Hits, released in 1998, was the first greatest hits collection of Phil Collins studio recordings. The collection included fourteen Top 40 hits, including seven American #1 songs, spanning from the albums Face Value (1981) through Dance Into the Light (1996). One new Collins recording, a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors", also appeared on the collection and was a popular song on adult contemporary stations. Hits was also the first Phil Collins album to include four songs originally recorded for motion pictures (all of them U.S. #1 smashes) as well as his popular duet with Philip Bailey, "Easy Lover" (an UK #1 hit).
There are other greatest hits compilations of Phil Collins songs. Most recently, a collection of Collins more romantic songs were released on a two-disc compilation titled Love Songs: A Compilation...Old and New. A live collection, Serious Hits... Live!, was released in 1990. 1999's Turn It On Again and 2005's The Platinum Collection were greatest hits collections by Collins' original group, Genesis. Finally, Collins recorded many of his most popular songs as big band recordings on the album A Hot Night in Paris with The Phil Collins Big Band.
- "Another Day in Paradise" (Phil Collins) – 5:22
- "True Colors" (Billy Steinberg, Tom Kelly) – 4:33 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "Easy Lover" (Collins, Philip Bailey, Nathan East) – 5:03 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "You Can't Hurry Love" (Holland-Dozier-Holland) – 2:53
- "Two Hearts" (Collins, Lamont Dozier) – 3:25 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "I Wish it Would Rain Down" (Collins) – 5:28
- "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" (Collins) – 3:27 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven" (Collins, Daryl Stuermer) – 4:52
- "Separate Lives" (Stephen Bishop) – 4:06 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "Both Sides of the Story" (Collins) – 6:39
- "One More Night" (Collins) – 5:13
- "Sussudio" (Collins) – 4:23
- "Dance into the Light" (Collins) – 4:24
- "A Groovy Kind of Love" (Toni Wine, Carole Bayer Sager (The Mindbenders)) – 3:31 (never before available on a Phil Collins album)
- "In the Air Tonight" (Collins) – 5:32
- "Take Me Home" (Collins) – 5:51
- Track 1 features David Crosby on backing vocals.
- Track 2 features Babyface on backing vocals, keyboard and drum programming, and Sheila E on percussion.
- Track 3 features Phil Bailey on vocals.
- Track 6 features Eric Clapton on guitar.
- Track 9 features Marilyn Martin on vocals.
- Track 16 features Peter Gabriel, Sting, and Helen Terry on backing vocals.
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
by Manic Street Preachers
|UK number one album|
October 17, 1998 – October 23, 1998
Quench by The Beautiful South