St. Wolfgang im Salzkammergut
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|St. Wolfgang im Salzkammergut|
|Coat of arms||Location|
|Mayor||Johannes Peinsteiner (ÖVP)|
|Area||56.6 km2 (21.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||548 m (1798 ft)|
|Population||2,794 (31 December 2005)|
|- Density||49 /km² (128 /sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
St. Wolfgang is a market town of 2,794 inhabitants in the Salzkammergut region of Upper Austria, named after Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg. The complete name of the town is Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut.
Situated on the northern shore of the Wolfgangsee (close to the towns of Strobl and St. Gilgen, both in the State of Salzburg) at the foot of the Schafberg mountain, it is famous for the White Horse Inn (Hotel Weißes Rössl), the setting of the musical comedy and for its pilgrimage church with a late Gothic altarpiece by Michael Pacher.
Saint Wolfgang erected the first church at the shore of the Wolfgangsee after he withdrew to the nearby Mondsee Abbey in 976. According to legend he threw an axe down the mountain to find the site and even persuaded the Devil to contribute to the building by promising him the first living being ever entering the church. However Satan was disappointed as the first creature over the doorstep was a wulf (Wolf in German).
After Wolfgang's canonization in 1052 the church became a major pilgrimage site as it was first mentioned in 1183 deed by Pope Lucius III. In 1481 it was furnished with the famous Pacher polyptych. There had been several places for lodging around the church since medieval times, while the Weißes Rössl hotel was not built before 1878.